One of the opposition parties' run in elections doubtful because of State Audit Office fine

The radical nationalist Jobbik party's participation in next year's parliamentary election has become "doubtful", group leader János Volner told a press conference on Wednesday.

Earlier in the day, the State Audit Office (ÁSZ) accused the party of accepting over 330 million forints (over EUR 1 million) in illegal financing during the first six months of this year. The party has accepted no questionable funding from organisations or private individuals, Volner said. Volner said that in light of the charge the party was expecting a fine of 660 million forints, which would deplete the party's campaign budget.
According to ÁSZ, Jobbik benefitted from heavily discounted prices, wherein allegedly lies the restricted non-material support for the party. The agency has also taken issue with the far-right party's financial statements from earlier years (2015-2016).
The penalty for receiving the restricted non-material support can amount to up to twice the value of the amount in question, or for Jobbik HUF 660 million (USD 2.5 million).
Speaking at a press conference on Wednesday, Jobbik deputy chairman János Volner said it is obvious that his party is under political attack. Volner pointed out that ÁSZ President László Domokos is a longtime member of Fidesz, serving as an MP for the party between 1998 and 2010.
Volner said Fidesz will do anything, and use any state organ, to annihilate the party and block it from taking part in a democratic competition. One way to do this is by stripping the party of its finances.
"It is uncertain whether Jobbik will be able to take part in next year's elections because Fidesz has used the [State Audit Office] to take away our funds for this. We cannot finance our politics or campaign before elections," Volner said.

Last Updated on Thursday, 07 December 2017 17:50